Are you tired of the 6 am to 8 pm daily grind? We are! Our goal? Buy nothing, sell everything (as realistically as possible, right?) and retire in 12 years or less. We adopted minimalism in late 2014 and paid off $60,000 worth of debt in 2016! Anything is possible!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Is Voluntary Simplicity For Us?

What do I want more than stuff?  What can make me stop buying things I don't really want?  What can put me in a place where I no longer want material stuff because there is something I want and desire even more?

There is supposed to be a difference between  voluntary simplicity and deprived simplicity and I am on a mission to find this balance.  I am reading "Voluntary Simplicity" by Duane Elgin and I am only on page 33.  I can usually thumb through books pretty quickly but this is one that needs to be absorbed.  Thought about.  Pondered.  I find myself putting it down to think about a passage I just read.  I love this book because it's not about living a simpler life and forcing yourself to meager conditions, it's about wanting a simpler life and being happy with the way things already are.  

I read this quote today by Mahatma Gandhi:  "If you were to give it up (referring to material stuff and money) in a mood of self-sacrifice or out of a stern sense of duty, you would continue to want it back, and that unsatisfied want would make trouble for you.  Only give up a thing when you want some other condition so much that the thing no longer has any attraction for you."

So, what do I want more than stuff I can buy or acquire?  I set the book down and thought about this.  What do I want more than anything?  And the answer came to me:

I want my husband home.  I want him here with us.  That's it.  That's all I want.  It's what he wants too.  To be able to be home more and still provide us with our comfortable standard of simple living.  To be a family, a team more than we already are.  Less time at work, more time here.  

Pretty simple and nothing material about it.  Now Universe, I put it out there.  Help me make it happen. 

No comments: