Are you tired of the 6 am to 8 pm daily grind? We are! Our goal? Buy nothing, sell everything (as realistically as possible, right?) and retire in 12 years or less. We adopted minimalism in late 2014 and paid off $60,000 worth of debt in 2016! Anything is possible!

Sunday, January 10, 2016

When Everything Breaks

Since my husband was fired in 2015, we've been ultra conservative in our spending. When it comes to money, we are finally on the same page. Only buying what we need and selling most of everything we don't need on Craigslist and knocking off debt as we go. At first we were gung ho, like "yeah we can do this!  We have everything we need, working cars, stocked up food, good health, yada, yada, yada....."  Well, we should know better because the Universe likes to prove us completely wrong just as we get a bit cocky. Right?  If you're walking along and living the perfect zen life:  It does one of two things. It either takes you out like an expired banana or it throws you something you can barely handle. Ha!

I couldn't make this up stuff if I tried. I was feeling artistic this morning and decided to draw what happened in the last week instead of write about it.  Click on it to enlarge it.....




All in all, even though I had my "crap, why me?" moment in the midst of everything breaking down, we have  forged ahead. Mr Monkey has been working his tail end off each day to bring in cash whether through selling items or working on salvage projects or on side projects he's hired for. And he's doing amazingly so far. We are paying bills AND paying stuff off. But we are also determined to cut costs by fixing things ourselves or doing without rather than buying new and I gotta say, we are being challenged for sure!

A few days later after all of the above happened, my oldest kicked the drain on the bathtub which means we can't take baths anymore, only showers. Now my rare leisurely baths I look forward to have gone kaput too. These baths are sometimes seriously the one thing that give me will to go on. As a stay at home mom, there's nothing nicer than locking myself in the bathroom for a few hours while Mr Monkey takes on Mr Mom role so I can have my own brain space. So now what?  I'm proud to say that all hell is breaking loose but I'm standing strong. There are worse things that could happen. Much worse. I've known friends who lost their entire homes in landslides and even in house fires. This is nothing. Mr Monkey will eventually fix everything once he has the time so in the meantime, we just take it one day at a time.  "It's that season of life" I told him. "We've been through this before where all of a sudden everything starts breaking."  He remembers. Frankly, it is hard for me to stay depressed and down in a rut when finally for the first time in a long time, we are really exactly where we want to be: working together.

Yeah, because up to this point, Mr Monkey and I were on opposite collision courses. At least now we are on the same collision direction even if we are colliding. And that feels good.

Colliding together. It is the best feeling ever.

No comments: